Monday, March 05, 2007

Thinking outside the box?

A number of broadcasters, notably Fox, have got a bit tetchy with YouTube recently for failing to protect their property adequately. People have uploaded entire series of The Simpsons and 24 just as they're being aired.
Auntie Beeb, has taken another angle by signing a deal with Google's video service to promote shows. The mentality seems to be, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Except when you take a slightly more cynical perspective. How much dross is now showing up from YouTube in BBC broadcasts? We now have "news" that a pensioner's video blog has more subscribers than Paris Hilton, or that a couple that imitated Dirty Dancing at their wedding reception. It's just a short step to making video clip shows of stuff that's been uploaded, for people who can't be bothered to go to the site themselves: in fact, I've already seen this on Swiss TV (don't ask me how).
So now, if I'm desperate for TV at any time, I can sneak a preview of what I'd like to watch on YouTube; not sure why I'd rather go there than use the BBC site, which must have enough infrastructure to support this. And if I'm desperate for some user-generated content all I need to do is turn on my TV. Is this what they call channel convergence?

No comments: