Saturday, December 11, 2004

Pyrrhic victories

A certain Pyrrhus, king of Epirus in the third century B.C., attacked the burgeoning Roman Empire on the Italian mainland in order to defend his fellow Greeks. Though he won a couple of battles, he sustained such heavy casualties that he lost the war. This coined the term Pyrrhic victory, one that I am becoming familiar with in practice rather than as a matter of historical interest.
Having emailed our boss with collective concerns about changes to contracts -- see my Contract Tennis entry of December 6th -- the company has backed down and is now offering us benefits without any of the drawbacks. However, as mouthpiece for my disgruntled colleagues, I am perceived as the ringleader. Plutarch called Pyrrhus the fool of hope: any ideas that I had that our tribunes would engage with their minions constructively have been dashed; I'm now looking for an exit strategy.

No comments: